[Fsf-friends] IBM move to Linux desktop

Soundara Rajan N.S searchlight@sancharnet.in
Thu Jan 8 17:35:33 IST 2004

Internal memo confirms IBM move to Linux desktop

All stories come true eventually

By Mike Magee: Wednesday 07 January 2004, 16:39

WE REPORTED last year that Big Blue was firmly committed to moving to a Linux desktop environment, and we now have confirmation in the form of an IBM memo that this is going to happen.

The memo, titled On Demand Initiatives, from IBM CIO Bob Greenberg, and forwarded to us by an insider at IBM on the West Coast, is encouraging senior execs at Big Blue to switch to a Linux desktop by the end of 2005.

That, says Greenberg, is a challenge that IBM's chairman himself put to Big Blue's IT organisation.

Team,

We have been on our journey to on demand for one year now. While we have made important progress in transforming our business and IT systems we must be even more aggressive in driving this transformation. I am writing to you today because I need your assistance on two key projects that are central to our vision of IBM as an on demand business.

You can read more at http://www.theinquirer.net/