[Fsf-friends] Malayalam Translation

Manilal K M manilal@linuxmail.org
Wed Jan 7 12:49:49 IST 2004

Hello,
  It's nice to hear more words in Malayalam for "Free Software".
   1. Ganana Soothram
   2. Mridu saamagri
   and now to add to this (3). Asaya upakaranam; This word I got from a magazine(vivaravicharam) published by the ATPS(Appropriate Technology Promotion Society). The word spelt in malayalam is attached in this mail. Finding malayalam words for the technical terms is a good initiative. But the "freedom" to choose which word should be left to the user. It's common that there are many alternatives for a term in Malayalam. also that some words have different meanings in different parts of Kerala.

> They used sanskrit words frequently as malayalam words.
Malayalam is evolved from Sanskrit and Dravidian Languages, so it's common that there are some common words.

> Please keep these in mind."Ganam","soothram","Mruthu
> saamagri"etc are pure sanscrit words. these are the words used only by "savarna" people or budhijeevees in common usge.
Please note that the words savarna and budhijeevees are not equivalent or identical in any manner.

An easy way to chose the appropriate word is to give all these words to the public and they will decide which to follow. While using Malayalam technical words in text books it'll be good if the English words are also provided in parenthesis.

regards
Manilal