[Fsf-friends] Fwd: Re: hp scanjet 5470c e-mail support

Rishi Gangoly rishi@theargoncompany.com
Tue Jan 6 22:46:21 IST 2004

Hi Guys

This is what HP has to say about scanning software for one of their Scanners
we happened to buy a few years back.  :-(

Anyone managed to find another option?

Regards

Rishi

Subject: Re: hp scanjet 5470c e-mail support
Date: Tuesday 06 Jan 2004 10:31 pm
From: HP ScanJet E-mail Support <scanjet_support_en@mail.support.hp.com>
To: Rishi Gangoly <rishi@theargoncompany.com>

Dear Rishi,

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

According to your e-mail, you want information on how to obtain the
scanning software compatible with Linux operating system from your HP
Scanjet 5470c scanner.  I would like to inform you that HP does not
recommend that you install your scanner under the Linux Operating
System, as it is not supported.  Your scanner can be installed only
under Windows operating system.

Your scanner cannot work under a Linux based Operating System.  Some HP
scanners are supported using HP Backened for SANE and SCL commands in
LInux.  The HP Backened is present in SANE.  Usually all HP scanners
with a SCSI-interface support SCL. Some scanners with parallel port
interface or USB are using SCL too. But most of the newer models with
USB do not support SCL and thus are not supported by the hp backend. For