[Fsf-friends] database on CD

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil@vsnl.net
Tue Jan 6 15:48:04 IST 2004

Is a free alternative to CDS/ISIS available?

`CDS/ISIS' is a database application. Details are at

http://portal.unesco.org/ci/ev.php?URL_ID=2071&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201&reload=1035195531

Also see http://www.bib.wau.nl/isis/intro/
and http://www.bib.wau.nl/isis/brandon.html

This Software is non-free freeware. Institutions need to enter into an
agreement with UNESCO to distribute it.

An educational  institution I know  is creating a  bibliography, which
will be  distributed on CDs.  They  are creating a  searchable list of
authors, publishers,  editions, and abstract  of articles /  books and
journals on  a particular  subject to be  distributed on  a non-profit
(apparently) on a stand alone CD.

The work  is in very preliminary  stage of digitsing and  we) might be
able to influence the institution into using a free alternative.

But, is a free alternative available?

--

  Mahesh T. Pai, LL.M.,
  'NANDINI', S. R. M. Road,