[OT] Pride for language et al (was: Re: [Fsf-friends] Tamil translation for "free software")

Suraj suraj@symonds.net
Mon Jan 5 21:53:28 IST 2004

Dileep M. Kumar wrote on Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:34:24AM +0530:
,----
| In Malayalam also we can have Telephone= Doora Bhashini , which convey
| the meaning exactly. But our Malayalees always lack that "Love towards
| Mother tounge". They feel proud  to say "Enikku Malayalam Ariyilla" (I
| dont know Malayalam). I am sad to say this.
`----

I guess thats the same scenario everywhere... Nor do tamil people have
the "pride"...  but  is it very important (not in  the context of this
thread though) to take a language that seriously? Its only a matter of
communication, or  is there something very  special (minus literature,
specialities,  etc.,.).   Whats  the  point  in going  to  any  modern
english-medium school  and talking in  Tamil (I'm sure most  kids wont
grasp as much... they use talk english and they walk english!)

cheers,

  -Suraj