[Fsf-friends] Tamil translation for "free software"

Dileep M. Kumar dileep@gmx.net
Tue Jan 6 09:34:24 IST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 08:00:48PM +0530, Mahesh T. Pai wrote:

>>>While this  is literally accurate, in modern  Malayalam, `soothram' is
>>>understood as a `trick'.

Not for all, I suppose. :-)

>>>My vote is for `software'.

I feel we should learn  from Tamil people. They find alternative words
for many  such things.  eg:  telephone = tholai  pechi , Akasa  Vani =
Vanoli Nilayam.

In Malayalam also we can have Telephone= Doora Bhashini , which convey
the meaning exactly. But our Malayalees always lack that "Love towards
Mother tounge". They feel proud  to say "Enikku Malayalam Ariyilla" (I
dont know Malayalam). I am sad to say this.

Regards
--
 .''`.     Dileep M. Kumar <dileep@kumarayil.net>
: :'  :    http://www.kumarayil.net