[Fsf-friends] [OFFTOPIC] Radio suffers as Colombo bosses call the shots

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil@vsnl.net
Sun Feb 29 10:12:53 IST 2004

Frederick Noronha said on Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 01:43:48AM +0530,:

 > Please excuse the posting of a completely off-topic posting here. This is

Fred,

This is not exactly off-topic.

Do we  realise that  after non-free software,  greatest threat  to the
right to information is control of the spectrum and bandwidth??

Do we  realise that a  few years down  the line, the struggle  to free
software from  hands of  proprietary hoarders will  go in vain  if the
spectrum and bandwidth is controlled by a few??

At the  moment, I am reading  on `quality of service'.   This topic is
giving me  the goose  bumps. I  find that it  possible to  use Digital
Restrictions Management technology to authenticate the type of content
in the TCP/IP packet. `Extend'  the DRM based IP packet authentication
a little to identify the software  creating the packet, and it will be
possible for your your bandwidth carrier or ISP to give lower priority
to traffic originating from software  they do not like. (ouch!!!  have
I put ideas into peoples' heads??).  Modify that a bit to drop packets
containing certain  kinds of information ...  and 20 years  (and a few
weeks) of struggle goes ...  zilch!!!

(I have not gone through the mail you forwarded -- I am working on the
backup UPS, and before it shuts down, I have to send this ...)

--

  Mahesh T. Pai, LL.M.,
  'NANDINI', S. R. M. Road,
  Ernakulam, Cochin-682018,