[Fsf-friends] THE PATENTS (AMENDMENT) ORDINANCE, 2004

Raj Mathur raju@linux-delhi.org
Tue Dec 28 20:04:48 IST 2004

[Cross-posted]

    RK> The THE PATENTS (AMENDMENT) ORDINANCE, 2004 is available
    RK> online at
    RK> http://lawmin.nic.in/Patents%20Amendment%20Ordinance%202004.pdf

    RK> The portion immediately relevant for us is the amendments to
    RK> Section which shall come into force on the 1 st day of
    RK> January, 2005. : <quote> 3. In section 3 of the principal Act,
    RK> (a) in clause (d), for the words new use , the words mere new
    RK> use shall be substituted; (b) for clause (k), the following
    RK> clauses shall be substituted, namely:

    RK> (k) a computer programme per se other than its technical
    RK> application to industry or a combination with hardware;

    RK> (ka) a mathematical method or a business method or algorithms;
    RK> .  </quote>

    RK> Provision (k) of Section 3 of the Patents Act, 1970 that deals
    RK> with what are *not* inventions, reads as follows "a
    RK> mathematical or business method or a computer program per se
    RK> or algorithms;"

    RK> With effect from Jan 1, 2005, software in its "technical
    RK> application to industry" or software in "a combination with
    RK> hardware" would become patentable.  The words "technical
    RK> application to industry" is far too general, that could
    RK> virtually include any software, besides being vague and
    RK> ambigious to say the least.  We should respond appropriately,
    RK> as soon as possible, to prevent these provisions from being
    RK> given effect to.

Sorry, I don't understand the legal gobbledegook.  However, Arun Mehta
had posted a great article on software patents, and has kindly given
permission to use that text as a basis for any action we may want to
take.

I'm enclosing the whole text here, partly because it's worth a read
and partly because I'd like people to be able to modify and use it
without having to wait for 'net access (RMS for instance mostly reads
mail offline AFAIR).