[Fsf-friends] Patents amendment bill

Vijay Kumar Bagavath Singh vijaykumar@linuxmail.org
Sat Dec 25 09:04:13 IST 2004

The following news articles suggest that the patents amendment bill, could possibly introduce software patents in India. If this is so, why aren't we(FSF-India) fighting it?

Quoting from http://www.business-standard.com/common/storypage.php?hpFlag=Y&chklogin=N&autono=176422&leftnm=lmnu2&lselect=0&leftindx=2

The Cabinet is expected to clear the promulgation of an Ordinance for the introduction of a product patents regime, which will also cover embedded software and hardware, next Wednesday.

Quoting from http://athens-olympics-2004.newkerala.com/?action=fullnews&id=44168

"Fair use provisions in the copyright law that permits reverse engineering is not permitted under the patent law," said G. Devarajan, general secretary of the All India Forward Bloc.
"This highly retrograde step would kill the fledgling open source movement in our country, particularly in our universities and institutions like Indian Institutes of Technology," a Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader said.

Vijay