[Fsf-friends] Ubuntu, anyone?

Praveen A pravi.a@gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 19:03:45 IST 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:25:48 +0530, Sriharsha
<sriharsha.v@redpinesignals.com> wrote:
> Hello Friends,
>     yesterday evening I received the UBUNTU CD's that I ordered quite
> some time back.

My friend got 10 cds and he gave me 7. I 've distributed it to my
friends. ( My cds are yet to come because he ordered before me.)
If you have a good internet connection. Setting up media support (mp3
support is a snap). just go to ubuntulinux.org . They have given every
step in detail. No need to check for dependancies and all. It hav good
package manager called synaptic which is very good and easy to use.

Tried all windows packages with friends' comps. It works fine. Live cd
also worked on very different machines but faced problems with one
which had a amd athlon processor.

>I was so eager to check them out and so started it on a
> system with the following configuration:
> Intel Pentium III 1.13 GHz, 128MB Ram, Kobian 815e Motherboard with
> Intel 815 Graphics Card (built-in) etc.

Before that I've downloaded it and tested it on systems which has
intel motherboard (P4 with NViDIA Ge force 4 MX). Now we have 7 pcs
running ubuntu in our main Computer center (NIT Calicut)

> The boot-up was fine (though it was slightly slow compared to Redhat
> that we use elsewhere). But unfortunately, NO PROGRAM was opening except
> NETWORK Configuration. I get the error Screen Not Found (or Display
> Device unavailable). Not even "Terminal" works.

If you install it and X server was not able to start you go in the
recovery mode and change the driever settings to vesa (try i810 which
is the driver for intel before vesa which is generic)  it may be nv.
You may be able to overcome this by giving boot parameters at
starting. Check with ubuntu forums. They have excellent support
through their site.  Check faqs also.
> Later I ran the CD on my home PC (Pentium-III 500MHz, 256 MB RAM and SiS
> 6326 graphics card) and it did boot and also the applications were
> opening. But I could not find as many applications as I did with a
> similar Distro of KNOPPIX 3.6 (distributed along with the magazine
> "Linux For You Pro", a few of months ago). Ofcourse, I am yet to install
> it into my drive and check the entire stuff out...
> Will write back once I review it.

It installed fine with my friend but he had some problems which could
be easily solved (some due to patent restriction). The solutions may
seem to be difficult but when we think of the philosophy that led to
the removal of these packages, we should be ready to do it.

"Freedom is worth a sacrifice" RMS

He could not accesss his windows partition. It is easily solved by
editing /etc/fstab file
MP3 support can be solved my installing xmms with mp3 support (details
are given in ubuntu site)
Multimedia support by installing mplayer or xine (also details given
in ubuntu site).