[Fsf-friends] Indian Linux users cant see constitution in Hindi

Ramanraj K ramanraj@vsnl.com
Thu Dec 2 08:16:22 IST 2004

   Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:

 >On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 23:01 +0530, Ramanraj K wrote:
 >

 >>Basically, NIC < http://home.nic.in/ > has been involved with
 >>computerisation in our country, for a long time, since 1950's.  Please
 >>visit http://home.nic.in/aboutus/history.htm  The GOI sites, and many
 >>state gov sites are maintained by NIC. It is almost pointless to nitpick
 >>GOI sites when NIC has been using proprietary software for a long time
 >>when it was the only viable option available.  Please visit
 >>

 >>No doubt, there could be no discrimination against free software users.
 >>But, if we take into consideration the long history of using non-free
 >>software when that was the only workable option available, it is harsh
 >>to have a "Hall of Shame" and expect changes over night.  The better way
 >>

 >Ramanraj ji, if you dont mind, I would like to disagree with you on
 >this.
 >
 >Proprietary software have almost never been the only viable option at
 >any time in the history of web. Let me explain: .....

Earlier, there was a discussion about http://osf.nic.in/ here, and there
was no real consensus as to the acceptable "standard". That apart,
questions like, is it all right to use java, javascript, frames, etc.
arise.  You may contend that NIC/GoI sites fall short of your standards,
but is there any consensus about the ideal normative standards that any
public body should follow?

To put it more plainly, we are at a defining moment in history, and if
we do take sufficient care to give ourselves a few clear definitions,
adoption of free software would become easier.  We have many defacto
standards: http://www.cmpcmm.com/cc/standards.html  What tests should be
applied to pick and choose from the defacto standards available? The
forthcoming World Summit on the Information Society [WSIS] to be held in
Tunis in 2005 may have some answers.  http://www.itu.int/wsis/  So far,
a declaration of principles and plan of action is available at
http://www.itu.int/wsis/docs/geneva/official/dop.html
http://www.itu.int/wsis/docs/geneva/official/poa.html
An international treaty that recognises free software movement and many
useful standards may pave way for municipal legislation that is more or
less uniform around the globe.  For now, we can focus on what we can
usefully present at Tunis.

 > To be honest, I am a bit prejudiced against premier government
 >organizations like NIC or CDAC. I feel really sad and frustrated that
 >far from being leaders in bringing Free software to the people, these
 >organizations have thrived on either using or creating proprietary
 >software all these years ... and now they are just playing catch up to
 >the free software activity in India.

Please avoid having prejudices against *anyone*. HTH ;)

Meanwhile, there is nothing in the way to patch up existing content, to
make it usable by us.  We volunteer all the time, and helping with
writing patches for GOI sites, may help. It may take less time than
writing representations. The only way to move forward and bring in
changes is by sending representations [and patches, if possible], and
documenting them well, to measure progress.  If, inspite of
representations, discrimination continues, I am sure you are aware of
the options available to you.