[Fsf-friends] Freedom VS Rich User Experience

Rishi rishi@gangfam.com
Wed Apr 28 22:42:32 IST 2004

Hi Tarun,

> Now, he is a live example of an END USER PERSPECTIVE on Linux Desktops. Let
> me remind you I am not talking of Linux as a Server.

I use Linux at home and office as a Desktop. Been doing that for the past 1
year now....  Linux Servers have been at the office and home since 1996. ;-)

> Now I have a question for you ... are "Diversity" and "Flexibility"
> synonyms of "Complexity" and "Non-Rich User Experience"??

Sure they are. But the more crucial point I'm trying to make is the Value of
Freedom which according to me, supercedes the more shallow concept of having
a 'Rich User Experience'.....

This of course depends on the crux that the end-user values freedom.

From where I sit and all the friends at FSF, I'm sure we value freedom first
and then "Rich User Experience"

> So, when the competetion picks up it is the BUYERS market and you have to
> be very agile to pick up a market share. And we have to behave very
> responsibly and look at the world from customer's perspective. We have a
> big
> resposibility here. Remember we are not a market leaders but intend to be.
> You like it or dislike it Microsoft is still there on 94% of wold's
> desktops. You know why .. because they dont ignore the suggestions of guys
> like Ram Reddy.

That's the other issue....  who is 'we' ?

FSF Friends: Are a group of people that value freedom and wish to participate
and help people spread the concept of free software. We're not working on
becoming market leaders.

Red Hat / Mandrake / Suse: Are comercial organizations that value the concept
of freedom and make software products / services available to the public at a
price. They are working on becoming market leaders.

This is the angle that's different... There isn't software (product) to buy in
the free software world. If at all there are services to be bought...

1. With Free Software ... it's usually supported by the community who provide
support through newsgroups and e-mail .... such as the FSF Friends list.

2. With non-Free Software ... it's usually supported by the hardware /
software vendor's that's making money on selling/installing the software
product for the end-user. In the case of Windows and MS Office, hardware
vendors in India typically (90%) install it for 'free' (piracy) so that they
get to sell a computer...

In Mr. Reddy's case did he buy Mandrake with installation support? Or did he
get the CDs from some guy?

Note: Windows without installation charges cost Rs. 5-8K per PC.

Mandrake or Redhat (Fedora) can be bought at much lower prices than 5K.

> Please do not look at this as a Developer, try looking at it as a business
> man or an end user.

Sure... If he (Mr. Reddy) want's to install Linux he can pay someone (you) to
do it. You could charge him Rs. 500-2000 to do the job..  I would if I were
you.

> We have have done a lot to reach here, lets not assume that we are the
> best, lets plug each and every hole one by one ... cause thats the only way
> we can turn from a philosophical minority to MASS Majority.

Here comes that 'we' thing again. ;-)

You need to figure out who 'we' is ....

> Please do not take this note as personal, it is for every Linux Evangalist
> who thinks we are the best. If you still think so, please read the mail
> sent by Mr. Ram Reddy (and you can be sure that he is a responsible guy
> giving genuine opinion) once again.

His feedback, I'm sure is great... but it needs to be directed towards the
commercial organization providing the Linux Distro "Mandrake" and not the FSF
group of friends.

> Lets continue to improve, to end the note .. I am going to Mr. Ram Reddy's
> place this weekend and be sure we will win one more guy for FSF !!

We're here to improve our friend ship and talk about freedom. We're, at least
I am, even here to help you out with the installation if you get stuck... or
probably point you in some direction to get help.

Good luck to you and Mr. Reddy. Do let us know how the installation of
Mandrake goes.

Regards

Rishi