[Fsf-friends] I'll restore Linux and your confidence too !!

Rishi rishi@gangfam.com
Wed Apr 28 09:08:05 IST 2004

On Monday 26 Apr 2004 1:12 pm, Tarun Gaur wrote:
> These are some drawbacks of open source

Hi Tarun,

I don't see it as a drawback. I see it as being diversified. ;-)

In fact because it's open for anyone and everyone to do what they like, it
reduces the scope of a mono-culture. Read this article on why

Quote from this article:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/06/linux_vs_windows_viruses/
The growth of the Microsoft monoculture in computing is a dangerous thing for
users of Microsoft products, but also for all computing users, who suffer the
consequences of disasters in that environment, such as wasted network
resources, dangers to national security, and lost productivity (note: the
link is to a 880 KB PDF file).
http://www.ccianet.org/papers/cyberinsecurity.pdf

I'd like to share with you and the rest on the FSF friends list my own views
on why I felt the need to switch from using non-free software to free
software.

The main reason to move to using Free Software is "FREEDOM". That's the most
crucial issue to address with anyone and everyone you meet...

First the concept of freedom needs to be understood. Then one needs to do some
soul searching to find out if one values freedom. Once that's done, then the
effort needed to use and install free software won't seem huge as Mr. Ram
Reddy feels it does.

Right now it appears that he wants to try it for other reasons...
My guess is
- It's talked about / in the news...
- It's Free (as cost)

Can you tell us what exactly are Mr. Ram Reddy's disappointments?

Also has Mr. Ram Reddy ever installed Windows 98 on a disk that had no
partitions? I'm sure he'd have the same disappointments as he does have with
installing the GNU/Linux OS.

Installing the GNU/Linux OS makes you think ... and I think that's not too
bad. ;-)

Regards

Rishi