[Fsf-friends] For C Rammanohar Reddy

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@bytesforall.org
Wed Apr 28 03:23:46 IST 2004

Dear Mr Reddy:

Like you, I hesitated for a for a year-and-half before being able to take
the leap. What was worse, I had GNU/Linux installed on my PC, but just
didn't dare to change. To add to my discomfort, I was a founder member of
the local [GNU]Linux Users Group in Goa ;-)

Today, I use Free Software for 95% of my work. The other 5% is in a
cybercafe or at some other office, over which I simply don't have any
choice. My main complaint is that my old systems simply go on and on and
on working, without giving any major (or, often, minor) problem either.
The only time I fidget with the PCs (often getting someone else to do
so, agreed Free Software isn't as easy as the click-on-the-exe-file
usability... but then, that's compensated by security and that fact that
a virus also finds it tough to get control) is when there's some
upgradation done.

For years (since 2001-02), my computers have not been hit by a virus. The
only time a Trojan actually got in -- all my data was restored, nothing
lost -- was when I stubbornly clung on to Redhat 6.2, inspite of repeated
warnings that it was too long outdated and that security flaws had been
reported.

My suggestion is get someone else to do the installation. Changing over to
a new OS can be rather frustrating, since everything "seems different".
For sometime, one doesn't even know where to start searching. But that is
soon done with. As Stallman says, even if Free Software was an inferior
product, I would still continue using it... just because of the principles
behind it. FN in Goa.

> >From: Rammanohar Reddy To: "Tarun Gaur" <gaur_tarun@hotmail.com>
> >CC: KG Kumar <kg@tug.org.in>
> >Subject: Re: Pleasure to help you Sir
> >Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:12:26 +0530
> >
> >Thanks, Tarun
> >
> >Perhaps we should think of the next weekend -- it may otherwise be
> > very  diffficult.
> >
> >But I must warn you that right now I am terribly disappointed with
> >Linux -- my attempt toload Mandrake for the 4-5 weeks have failed. And
> >right now I can say more Windows' reliability!!
> >
> >best
> >
> >Ram Reddy

Frederick Noronha * Freelance Journalist * Goa, India
f r e d e r i c k n o r o n h a @ v s n l . n e t
Ph 832.2409490 / 832.2409783 Cell 9822 122436
Phone calls: preferably from 1300 to 0500 (IST)
Try landlines is mobile is temporarily unavailable
http://linuxinindia.pitas.com http://www.bytesforall.org