[Fsf-friends] Say no to slavery and proprietary codecs

Ramanraj K ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in
Sat Apr 17 17:19:13 IST 2004

Raj Mathur wrote:

>    sdg> Hey, Looks like Apple has unleashed it's lawyers upon
>    sdg> sarovar.org for hosting fairplay.
>    sdg> http://sarovar.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=474
>
>No, I don't agree with the project being taken down.  Enough
>arm-twisting by corporates who want to protect their ``Intellectual
>Property'' by killing innovation and the individual hacker (not
>cracker!).  If the project is taken down it will create a bad
>precedent in India, which will eventually lead to DMCA, PATRIOT and
>similar restrictions being placed on Indian developers without anyone
>having raised his/her voice against it.
>
>Sarovar, CVR, etc, please fight this case.  And to put my money where
>my mouth is, I'm putting in Rs. 1000 to help you get a lawyer.  I'm
>also forwarding this message to more lists and requesting people to
>come up and help defray your legal costs.
>
>Please set up some sort legal fund and fight!

Decoding codecs is not per se unlawful:  In the DVD Jon case, decryption
of DVD codecs that enjoy a similar `protection' have been held to be
legal by an European Court, and in my humble opinion, the reasoning in
that decision ought to hold good against anyone else also.   The
judgment and documents relating to this case are available at:
http://efn.no/jonjohansen-en.html .

We have suffered the hardships imposed by East India Company.  If any
one has the wrong notions about taking our freedoms casually or lightly,
they should be dealt with severly in accordance with law, and brought to
justice.

But let us also not give any undeserved free publicity to proprietary
companies.  Let us stay focused on making the free and open software and
standards in music more accessible to more people.