[Fsf-friends] GCIDE - the amazing free dictionary

Ramanraj K ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in
Mon Apr 12 21:22:16 IST 2004

`----

,----[ Imran William Smith wrote: ]
| Check the URL.  April 1st.  i.e. it's a joke.
|
| Nevertheless, I encourage everyone to investigate Project
| Gutenberg and consider contributing.  The aim is to transcribe
| large amounts of paper books and other texts into electronic
| format, provided that their copyright has expired (making this legal).
`----

Well, here is something not entirely off topic:

I  fell   for  the  hoax  by   google  :-D  It  is   still  there  at:
https://gmail.google.com/?dest=http%3A%2F%2Fgmail.google.com%2F   Well,
it is not a hoax but true - a clever strategy to market gmail!

Recently I stumbled upon
http://www.ibiblio.org/webster/
http://www.ibiblio.org/webster/#search_form

GCIDE  has  evolved  over  a  decade, and  now  supports  search  with
perl-style regular  expressions, giving unmatched  functionality.  One
can enrich word power with GNU software.  What is truly needed is more
vigorous advocacy and exposure of the fine work done by GNU to a wider
audience.

Regards,
Ramanraj.