[Fsf-friends] Schools to get $20 m grant from Microsoft India, 7 April, 2004 (fwd)

Rakesh Ambati rakesh_ambati@yahoo.com
Wed Apr 7 18:46:10 IST 2004

Morning Frederick,

Perhaps being children of lesser god we don't have
such resources,yet localization work(see
http://www.indlinux.org/wiki/index.php?LocalizationNewsletter)
is going at good pace.

 Indic language solutions
===========================
Over the past year, the attempt to find
Indian-language computing solutions on
the GNU/Linux front has seen some
impressive strides take place. Following
campaigning by young sparks like Tapan
Parikh, G Karunakar and team, the
chance of getting "Indic language"
solutions seem to have brightened. One
problem is the lack of links between
Indian initiatives, and the international
volunteer software efforts.
  From font designers to GNOME
developers, collaborators in distant parts
of the globe have been voicing their
interest in helping find solutions to
India's special challenges. These include
multiple scripts, characters which often
join each other, and a bewildering

variety in the numbers and letters.
indic-computing-users

I wish all those involved best wishes.