[Fsf-friends] Re: RMS note to Vivaravicharam: GNU Swatantra

Dileep M. Kumar dileep@gmx.net
Mon Sep 1 11:00:13 IST 2003

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 10:23:06PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

>>>That sounds plausible to me.  If "kappam" is Tamil, is there an
>>>equivalent Sanskrit term?

The  word  Kappam  is  in   Malayalam  too.   There  is  another  word
"Chungam". This also means Kappam (A  sort of tax/fees given to a King
for  protecting the  land/people. King/Lords  (Nattu Raja)  of smaller
states gave this to Chakravarti (King of Kingdoms).

>>>Before  the FSF India  was started,  we thought  of calling  it the
>>>Swatantra  Software Sabha.  But  someone argued  that the  term had
>>>been appropriated by  right-wing parties.  Others disagreed.  There
>>>was no consensus on using it, so we didn't.

Swatantra Software Sabha - Sounds fine. We have to find an appropriate
term for Software  also. I read in one magazine a  term for Computer -
"Ganana Yanthram"

Gananam = Computing
Yanthram = Machine

I suggest Ganana Soothram for Software.