[Fsf-friends] Re: [fsug-kochi-discuss]Automatic Character Encoding switching in Mozilla/Firebird

Biju G C bijumaillist@yahoo.com
Tue Oct 14 02:43:01 IST 2003

I dont know whether users are facing similar problem
mentioned in following mail when visiting other
Indian language sites.

If so please let me know the websites and required
character encoding, I will update my extension for
that sites also.

--- Biju G C <bijumaillist@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi,

One of the major issue with Mozilla as well as Firebird Browsers
is the need for switching the Character Encoding while visiting
Malayalam newspaper sites.
In GNU/Linux we can use Galeon, But when I ask many MS-Windows users
(mainly NRI's) to try an open source alternative to IE, that is "Firebird"
( http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/ )
this becomes a major issue for them. No NRI want to use one browser
for Malayalam sites and other for English sites.
So they will finally end up in IE.

So I created in an extension to just do the Character Encoding
switching automatically. Here is the install link
http://downloads.mozdev.org/quicktools/AutoCharacterCoding.xpi
(source included, works for Mozilla and Firebird,
on both GNU/Linux and MS-Windows)

sites handled now are
    http://www.malayalamanorama.com/
    http://www.deepika.com/
    http://www.deshabhimani.com/

for http://www.mathrubhumi.com/ from menu do "View/Force Auto Font" once.
  Or open the links in the new tab

 http://www.keralakaumudi.com/ (no need for my extension)

If there are other sites which give problem please let me know.
I can also do same thing for other indian languages

Warning:
This is not a replacement for fonts,
and extension wont download fonts by itself.
You should download/install font by yourself.

PS: After installing only GUI difference you see is
menu item "View/Force Auto Font". And a Malayalam "A Ka"
toolbar button in Firebird toolbar customization screen.

My other extensions
 http://quickmanager.mozdev.org/
 -  a popular one at forum http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=215162

 http://macroeditor.mozdev.org/
 - a tool for newbies to create macros,
   or try scripts before making new extensions

 http://links.mozdev.org/
 - A way to share links (bookmarks) with friends

 http://quicktools.mozdev.org/
 - a collection of many small extensions