[Fsf-friends] Free without ambiguity and overapplicability

eiidp eiidp@md3.vsnl.net.in
Sun Nov 30 10:31:19 IST 2003

> Freedom is the noun form of the adjective free.  Freedom is derived from
> free.

The reverse is the fact.  And through this  only a single meaning of the word
'free' is evolved. And that same word 'free' is used for various other
purposes.

>  What is needed is  curtailment of the abuse of the word "free" by
> proprietary software  entities.

There is no question of abuse, It is a question of common usage which may vary
spatially, sector-wise and cultural-wise.

> The whole point is that there is little need to explain the correct and
> proper usage by the free software movement. When the words we use exactly
> fit and match our matter at hand, our joy doubles.

To fit and match it exactly, the explanation should be accompanied.  'Joy' is
a state of mind. This can also be attained if one is prepared to accept
something else.

The most valuable contribution made by GNU to the society is the concept of
GPL. The war on words  contriutes little.

Regards,

Anil