[Fsf-friends] Re: Report Re:GNU/Linux awareness meet

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@bytesforall.org
Wed May 14 09:47:14 IST 2003

Details from Jabalpur and Girish <girish@apnajabalpur.com> about a recent
GNU/Linux event there. FN

> herez the details, pardon me if Ive slipped in writing.
> We have taken a month's off from our regular weekly meets due to various
> reasons, however, the interactions continue informally.
>
> The detailed report about the event is enclosed. We are yet to recieve
> the few photographs we took.
>
> If you have any queries, please do write back,
>
> Thanks for your encouragement and support,
> With best regards,
>
> -Girish Shukla
> ==========
> Linux Users' Group Jabalpur
> Website: http://jbplug.sf.net
>
> The Event:
> The GNU-Linux awareness meet was held on 20th April, 2003 at premises of
> Dubey Chemistry Classes, Wright town, Jabalpur. The event was arranged
> at a short notice of less than a week.
>
> The Objective:
> The event was first for jbp-lug marking one year of the lug here.
> The objective was to create awareness about software issues and
> importance and advantages of GNU-Linux beyond our weekly Sunday meetings.
> The event has opened new channels for larger events and activities of
> such nature.
>
> How it went:
> 1.Event began around 15 minutes late at 4:45 pm with a brief
> introduction about the LUG, Linux and FLOSS.
> 2.Linux as a Desktop and server was demonstrated using RedHat8 and MDK9.
> 3.This was immediately followed by screening of The Code Linux movie.
> ~At intervals, explanation with examples was given in Hindi about what
> the movie is saying for those not comfortable with English medium.~
> 4.A technical discussion session followed with discussions from Clusters
> to Sockets related to Linux.
> 5.The event concluded at around 8 pm with informal interactions and
> hands-on experience by newbies on Linux.
>
> Most of the publicity was through 'tell your friend' i.e. word of mouth.
> The event had attendence of around 40-50 people and 10 active LUG
> members. No commercial sponserships were solicited for the event and no
> fee was charged to anyone.
> Only dampening factors being the extremely hot weather, and technical
> discussion stretching for longer than scheduled.
> The event was attended mostly by students. Engg. students from as far
> as, Bhopal had come. There were students from BCA, MCA, Science,
> Commerce and Engg.
>
> Lessons learnt from the event:
> ======Light================
> 1.Half baked Techies from MSN's Ovens must be kept in separate box from
> the general public.
> 2.Seminars Still cause headache.
> 3.Free chai is not always a good idea. Instead, Everyone has the Freedom
> to buy their own cut-ting.
> =======Sober===============
> 4.Good orators, or even good techies can help promote GNU/Linux better.
> If few mentors, experts can visit smaller lugs once a while, it will help.
> 5.Mentors needed for small lugs.
> 6.Distro CDs and demos help a lot in creating awareness and are
> [...]

I must add,names of members[in no particular order]who made it possible:

Mr.Neependra Khare BE Comp. GRKIST
Mr.Arnab Ganguly BE IT JEC
Mr.Shubham Mishra BE Comp. JEC
Mr.Sarvesh Rathore BE Comp. JEC
Mr.Anurag Gautam & Mohit BCA JCC
Also,Mr.Piyush Shukla BE JEC, Mr.Himanshu Ahirwar B.Com.GKC and many
other people who contributed directly or indirectly.
Thanks also due to Mr.Pradeep Dubey for providing us space and facility.
-Girish