[Fsf-friends] [link] school tool

Suraj suraj@symonds.net
Fri, 2 May 2003 02:20:27 -0700

There is this  wonderful project that is starting  off. The reason why
I'm posting  this here  is that this  tool, though is  technical good,
seems  very shady -  in that  1. it  wants to  dual license  its code,
2. the site  claims the free version  "might" be under the  GPL. So we
should all participate in this projects and vote for GPL and make sure
that if this tool reaches the same fate as that of source forge we can
atleast fork off a new free project and take it further.

  -Suraj

-- BEGIN LINK --

   [1][mainlogoleft2.png] [2][mainlogotsf.png]

   Navigation:
   [4]Documentation
      [5]Vision
      [6]Specification
      [7]Architecture
      [8]Roadmap
   Community
      [9]Mailing Lists
   [10]Resources
   [11]Contact

                         [12]SourceForge.net Logo

   [clear.gif]

Welcome to the SchoolTool Project

   SchoolTool is a project to develop a common school administration
   infrastructure  that  is  freely  available under  an  Open  Source
   licence.
   Our vision is to create a platform that is equally compelling for
   schools  and colleges  in  First and  Third  World countries,  that
   supports
   best practices in school administration and which is readily
   customised to suit local regulatory requirements.

   Our hope is that the first version of SchoolTool will:
     * be available under a variety of licences including at least one
       Open Source licence (probably the GPL).
     * support critical school administration tasks: student
       registration, timetabling, attendance tracking, test results
       tracking, report writing and web portal functionality
     * support   a   web   interface   for   remote   deployment   and
   administration
     * meet regulatory requirements and local customs in South Africa,
       the UK and the USA

   You can read more about the SchoolTool Vision, and the detailed
   SchoolTool Requirements. We are developing SchoolTool largely in
   Python,  which  makes it  platform-independent  (it  should run  on
   Linux,
   UNIX, the Mac OS and Windows). Key target platforms for support are
   Linux   and  WindowsXP.   You   can  read   about  the   SchoolTool
   Architecture.

   Development of SchoolTool is  hosted on the SourceForge network. If
   you
   have an  interest in effective  school management then  please join
   the
   mailing list and help us to make this a robust tool that suits your
   needs.

   SchoolTool   development   is   funded  by   [13]The   Shuttleworth
   Foundation, a
   non-profit  organisation that supports  social innovation  based in
   Cape
   Town, South  Africa. We are  always looking for new  and innovative
   ways
   to improve education,  please take a look at our  web site and send
   us a
   proposal!
     Latest News:
   2003-04-27:
   Mailing List  Created. Please  see our SourceForge  Project Summary
   page
   and join the schooltool-devel mailing list if you would like to
   participate in the discussion.
   2003-04-21:
   SchoolTool Reborn. Development recommences, Mark Shuttleworth will
   lead project from London. Initial target is system that meets basic
   requirements for schools in US, UK and SA.