[Fsf-friends] | LinuxForYou... March 2003 | Connecting GNU/Linux and Windows |

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@bytesforall.org
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 13:32:02 +0530 (IST)

JUST AN UPDATE of what's in issue # 2 of what claims to be Asia's first
[GNU]Linux magazine, covering the technology for beginners, power users,
IT implementers, developers and the industry.

	CONNECTING [GNU]LINUX & WINDOWS
	Tools explained: Explore2fs and WinaXe
	CYGWIN A friendly application
	VMWare Go the emulation way
	GRUB The dual boot metho
	WINE Windows on [GNU]Linux
	SAMBA Network [GNU]Linux across platforms

o QUOTE:
  LFY: How do you like the magazine?
  RMS: I have to say this. I am very, very unhappy with the
  magazine. You really should not be doing this. The
  magazine should not be named LINUX For You. It should be
  GNU/Linux For You. You've got to change this.
  (Richard M Stallman, quoted in an interview)

	o Editor Rahul Chopra says of the last issue: "Day three
 	  of our all-India launch and we had sellouts from
 	  top three cities!"

o SUBSCRIBE TO LFY for Rs 370 per year, instead of Rs 600.
  Valid uptil 31 March 2003.

	o OpenOffice.ORG is sure to give other
	  proprietory office suites a run for
	  their money, writes Sharminder Singh.

o SuSE LINUX 8.1 is easy to install and fun to operate.
  It can be used on your home and office desktop,
  comes with fundoo games and educational software.
  For the server administrator, there are several
  useful tools available, says Vijaya Kittu.

	o COOL HANGOUTS FOR DEVELOPERS
	  www.sourceforge.com
	  www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/
	  www.freshmeat.net
	  www.python.org
	  www.kernel.org
	  www.sun.com/developers/
	  www.perl.com

o IF YOU HAVE had that (anti-'piracy') knock on
  your door, and are considering the move to GNU/
  Linux or have migrated since then, write to
  freedomyug@linuxforu.com with your story.

	o INDIA NEWS
	  - Red Hat India to expand
	  - Interview: V Khanna, CEO, Ampersand, Delhi
	  - LinuxInIndia: extracts from a report by
  	    Nasscom (some on the GNU/Linux found it
	    ironical that one of India's pro-Microsoft,
	    and pro-proprietorial code
	    bodies is tom-tomming GNU/Linux)
	  - C-DAC taking the open source route.
	  - Open Source: a disruptive technology?
	  - Mumbai's Breach Candy Hospital, 180
	    beds with advanced diagnostics, has
	    opted for GNU/Linux.
	  - Symantec AntiVirus, Mumbai
	  - Rainmail Intranet from Carizen Software Chennai
	  - GroupX2, groupware soln from Blore
	  - Elx, much undernoticed, from Hyderabad
	  - Legato's NetWorker from Delhi
	  - eSpark's Realtime, Bangalore
	  - Atlantic's sales force automation, Delhi
	  - Arava's Arcon -- mail, Internet, intranet server

o ENTERPRISE MESSAGING... Firms that use GNU/Linux
  for e-mails find it feature-rich, stable and
  easy to upgrade. News from Sahara India (1500
  offices... using Qmail), Bharati-Teletech,
  Bry-Air (RedHat for e-mail and proxy servers
  since 1999), Arcus Ltd.

	o Q-MAIL SERVER IN THE ENTERPRISE. Use
   	  the step-by-step instructions given here
	  to implement a Q-Mail server in your
	  organisation. It will take only a few
	  hours to do so.

o MITHI cOnnect server: Offers a corporate
  email solution with the "performance of
  [GNU]Linux and the ease of Windows'"

	o WHAT's NUMA got to do with clusters?

o INTRODUCING PERL.. Perl is a script language
  that can help you carry out a variety of
  tasks. Learn aboutPerl data types and variables.
  Perl expressions, loops in Perl and more.

	o LINUX databases. MySQL, POSTGRESQL.
	  InterBase. Non-relational databases.
	  Four page article.

o THE SHELL CORNER, beginning with interactive scripts

	o CVS for developers: This software helps
	  developers living across the world to
	  pool data in a central location, access
	  it, make changes to the content, and
	  save it. (Pages 80-81).

o [GNU]LINUX IN EDUCATION: An article that doesn't do
  justice to its subject. Lot more depth is required
  to tackle this. GLUE by Ajith in Delhi is not
  mentioned. LIFE of Prof Nagarajuna doesn't get
  noticed. RedHat is wrongly credited for "working
  closely"  to deploy GNU/Linux in 42 schools (if
  this is in Goa, the company did only very little)
  and BytesForAll.org (something which I'm directly
  involved -FN) doesn't focus on these kind of projects
  and has never claimed to have worked on it ;-)

	o Design of a diskless client terminal

o Report on GNUnify in Pune ('RMS was there')

	o Linux World Expo 2003, a report

o SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 edition is
  available from sales@seascope.co.in

	o LISTING OF Asia's and India's LUGs and
	  GLUGs... pretty useful. Accuracy and
	  depth of info could improve.

o ROBERT J CHASSELL on why software freedom empowers
  the developer, enables the user, and offers
  students something they love. (ENDS)

	LOOKING AHEAD: What's your opinion on
	a suitable distro to be included in a
	future edition of LFY? My suggestion? FreEduc.
--
Frederick Noronha    : http://www.bytesforall.org : When we speak of free
Freelance Journalist : Goa India 403511           : software we refer to