[Fsf-friends] Robot... walking on GNU/Linux

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@bytesforall.org
Sat Jun 21 01:09:43 IST 2003

--__--__--

Message: 3
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:51:02 +0530
From: Sagar Behere <behere@sancharnet.in>
To: prc@mail.sarai.net
Subject: [PRC] final update: project successfully completed :-)))

Hello all,

We are the robotics guys. For those who were not following the initial
posts (but clicked on this one after reading the subject ;-), here is a
quick recap.

"We were planning to build a robot and control it using free software."

Now let's move on to the results.

We have build a 4 degree of freedom SCARA type robot. SCARA stands for
Selective Compliance Assembly Robotic Arm. A SCARA robot has an elbow
and a forearm (both rotate) and a vertical linear arm. There is a last
roll axis which is used for orientation of the tool.
  The joints used stepper motors as their actuators.

We adapted the Enhanced Machine Controller software for our purposes. We
wrote the robot kinematics module and the same has been successfully
integrated into the mainstream code.

Here is what the control software can make the robot do:

1) The robot can be programmed using the CNC industry standard G and M
codes. You can create a drawing in a CAM software, it generates these
codes. The codes can then be fed to the robot controller and the robot
starts moving. Effectively, you draw a shape in the CAM software, and
the robot will trace out exactly the same path.

2) The robot has pick-and-place capabilities and point-to-point motion.

3) It is also possible to have "continuous path control" over the robot.
This means that the tool tip can be made to follow a desired trajectory
in space.

4) Of course, the velocities and accelerations and other things are
adjustable.

5) The software is capable of other things like driving servo motors,
backlash compensation, PID control etc.

6) Ther eis a backplotter which graphically shows the motion of the tool
tip as it moves.

7) Many, many other features :-)

A few applications the robot will be useful for are:

1) Spot welding

2) arc welding

3) Applications like applying sealants, glue etc. in manufacturing
processes.

4) vertical assembly operations.

5) certain types of machine loading and unloading.

6) painting and coating two and a half degree surfaces

7) light machining operations like drilling, boring, reamming, tapping
etc.

8) Engraving.

In conclusion, the robot has successfully achieved its design goals :-)

If there are any questions, we'll be glad to answer.

Sagar