[Fsf-friends] Indian, Pakistan... parallel thinking on GNU/Linux

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@bytesforall.org
Sun Jun 15 09:41:30 IST 2003

   Pakistan Putting Money Into Linux

   [map-pakistan.jpg]
   Our Pakistani correspondent, [49]Tariq Mustafa, writes to say that the
   new Pakistani national budget has $2.5 million in it for Linux.

   It's all part of a $54 million (Rs 3.25 billion) proposal covering 120
   different projects in Information Technology and sciences for the
   coming year, according to the [50]Daily Times of Pakistan.

   Linux even gets its own line-item in the IT budget, according to the
   Daily Times story.

   You may remember a few weeks ago that I wrote about how India's
   President faced down Bill Gates over the issue, saying that his
   country needed to control its own computing destiny and that software
   controlled by an outsider (i.e. Windows) could not provide that.

   The big news here is that Pakistan agrees. Now perhaps they might
   settle their other differences. (I know, Tariq -- it's not that
   simple. But just [51]Imagine...)

   [52]Dana Blankenhorn

  49. http://pakistan.blogspot.com/
  50. http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_9-6-2003_pg7_41