[Fsf-friends] www.stallman.org switched from FreeBSD to GNU/Linux

Kanti Jadia j_kanti@rediffmail.com
Mon Jun 2 16:48:37 IST 2003

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2003/05/05/richard_stallman_adopts_gpl_operating_system_for_own_site.html

In the late 90s, I kept some personal information in
http://www.gnu.org/people/rms.html. It would have been improper
for me to post my other political opinions there. Eventually we
found that maintaining substantial amounts of text in that
directory for GNU contributors was too much of a burden for the
GNU webmasters.
So we decided not to use it that way any more. I therefore wanted
to set up a personal web site for my personal material.

I decided for ethical reasons that the site had to be running a
free software operating system, and that it must not put any ads
onto my pages. I was prepared to pay for the service, but
preferred to avoid the expense if possible. A friend was in a
position to sponsor my usage of the site that his company used.
That site runs FreeBSD,
which is a free system. So I chose that site.

In 2003 my friend was no longer able to sponsor the site, so I
looked for new hosting. Once again, I considered only machines
running free
operating systems. I received several acceptable offers; the best
one is a site running GNU/Linux. Any free operating system is
acceptable, but I prefer to use a version of the GNU system.

A couple of other points.

* There is no "GNU Project License"; "GNU GPL" is short for the
GNU General Public License.

* It is not really accurate to say that GNU/Linux is a GPL-covered
system and *BSD is not. GNU/Linux contains free software such as
TeX and X11 and Apache that have other licenses, while *BSD
systems contain GPL-covered programs such as GCC. What is true is
that the developers of the *BSD systems do not use the GNU GPL for
their own code.
Posted by: Richard Stallman on May 16, 2003 11:49 AM