[Fsf-friends] Using GNU/Linux code... and yet charging for it?

Raj Mathur raju@linux-delhi.org
Thu Jul 31 07:33:37 IST 2003

    Fred> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Mandar wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >> Sry for distracting you people by asking you an 'off the mark'topic
    >> as you guys/girls(?) must be busy preparing for Ecap.I heard about
    >> Lindows,providing the stability of Linux as well as able to run
    >> windows program,if so is it the next big thing to hit the market??
    >> I visited their site,I couldn't understand was if it were using linux
    >> code then how can they charge for it.
    >> I hope you people will provide me the facts about Lindows.
    >> Mandar

    Fred> Hi Mandar,

    Fred> Thanks for your query.

    Fred> Even among some who have been in the group for long, there
    Fred> has been some confusion over what Free Software stands for.

    Fred> What does the term 'free' really mean in this context?
    Fred> Free-of-cost or freedom? Gratis or libre?

    Fred> Just for debate's sake:

    Fred> If you wrote a program using GPL'd code, would it be alright to:

    Fred> (i)   sell it for a price?

Yes.

    Fred> (ii)  block anyone else from copying it?

Yes and no.  You can refuse to give out the code of your program to
all and sundry.  However you cannot refuse to give the source code to
people to whom you have given the binaries (executables).  Those who
have got the source from you are then free to redistribute the source
and the binaries, while you continue selling your program.

    Fred> (iii) charge per-user licence fees?

Yes.  But I doubt if anyone would pay those fees :)

    Fred> (iv)  sell or share it without the source code?

No.  That is the one thing the GPL doesn't permit you to do.

    Fred> (v)   improve it, sell it commercially, but hide the source
    Fred>       code you've written?

No.

    Fred> Also, to take the debate further -- what's the difference
    Fred> between Free Software and Open Source? Is there some
    Fred> difference in the licence(s)? Is there some difference in
    Fred> the approach and motivations guiding either of these
    Fred> movements, or is it just a different name for the same
    Fred> thing?

In one sentence: Free software is about ethical reasons for using open
source.  Open source is about technological reasons for using free
software.  OK, that's two sentences, but WTH, my higher math was
always lousy :)

    Fred> Finally, do you think the GPL is a good licence for (i)
    Fred> individuals (ii) small firms (iii) corporations (iv) all of
    Fred> these (v) none of these? What are the advantages and/or
    Fred> disadvantages of the GPL as compared to the Open Source
    Fred> licences or other model licences? What could be the possible
    Fred> reasons for the popularity of the GPL among developers till
    Fred> date, if you perceive one?

Since you're asking for opinions, I would answer questions (i) to (iv)
above with `Yes' and (v) with `No'.  Other peoples' perception may
vary, but they're jerks and I wouldn't pay them any attention.

<g,d&r>

    Fred> Hope you don't mind me 'answering' your questions with
    Fred> further questions! But I thought this could throw up some
    Fred> interesting debate, and also clarify issues. Others are
    Fred> welcome to participate... FN

Regards,

- -- Raju
- --