[Fsf-friends] Using GNU/Linux code... and yet charging for it?

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@bytesforall.org
Wed Jul 30 23:23:17 IST 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Mandar wrote:
> Hi!
> Sry for distracting you people by asking you an 'off the mark'topic
> as you guys/girls(?) must be busy preparing for Ecap.I heard about
> Lindows,providing the stability of Linux as well as able to run
> windows program,if so is it the next big thing to hit the market??
> I visited their site,I couldn't understand was if it were using linux
> code then how can they charge for it.
> I hope you people will provide me the facts about Lindows.
> Mandar

Hi Mandar,

Thanks for your query.

Even among some who have been in the group for long, there has been some
confusion over what Free Software stands for.

What does the term 'free' really mean in this context? Free-of-cost or
freedom? Gratis or libre?

Just for debate's sake:

If you wrote a program using GPL'd code, would it be alright to:
(i)   sell it for a price?
(ii)  block anyone else from copying it?
(iii) charge per-user licence fees?
(iv)  sell or share it without the source code?
(v)   improve it, sell it commercially, but hide the source
      code you've written?

Also, to take the debate further -- what's the difference between Free
Software and Open Source? Is there some difference in the licence(s)? Is
there some difference in the approach and motivations guiding either of
these movements, or is it just a different name for the same thing?

Finally, do you think the GPL is a good licence for (i) individuals (ii)
small firms (iii) corporations (iv) all of these (v) none of these? What
are the advantages and/or disadvantages of the GPL as compared to the Open
Source licences or other model licences? What could be the possible
reasons for the popularity of the GPL among developers till date, if you
perceive one?

Hope you don't mind me 'answering' your questions with further questions!
But I thought this could throw up some interesting debate, and also
clarify issues. Others are welcome to participate... FN