[Fsf-friends] Government Information Awareness

Raj Shekhar raj@plusthought.org
Sun Jul 6 15:38:12 IST 2003

<http://opengov.media.mit.edu/gia.htm>
I came across this site on slashdot. The concept is really nice. If this
is scheme is implemented in India, we will have a nice database of
sleaze.

Read the details below.

What is the Government Information Awareness Program?

Government Information Awareness (GIA) is a research effort by the
Computing Culture group of the MIT Media Lab. It aims to provide
software and data to help citizens understand the complexities of their
government.

The premise of GIA is that individual citizens have the right to know
details about government, while government has the power to know details
about citizens. Our goal is develop a technology which empowers citizens
to form a sort of intelligence agency; gathering, sorting, and acting on
information they gather about the government. Only by employing such
technologies can we hope to have a government "by the people, and for
the people."

The system presents itself to users as a Web site, but is actually a
suite of information technologies that actively peruse data, accept
contributions, and post alerts about government. The system will
accommodate information of almost any type, allowing users to sort
through volumes of information which would otherwise be unusable. More
importantly, the system allows for people to submit any information,
while retaining anonymity, but while also being identified as a
consistent source.

Raj Shekhar
http://geocities.com/lunatech3007/