[Fsf-friends] Re: {Arun M] Another world is possible]

Ajith Kumar ajith@nsc.ernet.in
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:34:54 +0530

"Dileep M. Kumar" wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 09:38:57AM +0530, V. Sasi Kumar wrote:
>
> Just as a programmer has the freedom to make use of code written by
> someone, (s)he has the responsibility to give back to the community
> code that (s)he has written. I think that is the spirit. Do correct
> me if I am wrong.
>
> A second  point is  that the strength  of Free  Software originates
> from  the fact  that  thousands  of programmers  see  the code  and
> identify bugs in it.  Without  this facility, there would hardly be
> any difference between proprietary software and Free Software.
>
> In view of  both these aspects, it is  essential that GPLd software
> is made freely available to anyone who wishes to download it.
>
> You are wrong Mr. Sasi Kumar. Even RMS wont agree to your argument. It
> may  be true  for  a general  purpose  software like  an editor.   But
> programs for  specific industry  need not be  or rather should  not be
> freely (as in  free beer) available on net.

This is a wrong argument. Why it should not be available on the net.
It is up to the developer to decide depending on what he want.
If he thinks that more people seeing the code will help him then he puts
it on the net.
My personal view is that, if the software is meant for a industry, for
example for a bank,
they will definitely go for  a copy from the  original vendor  for
regular use with some sort of
maintenance support. Putting it on the web just help in terms of
advertisement.
If it a a game for home use, at least our people are not going to spend
money on a legal copy.
I  would say the software meant for etc. should be put on the net so that
more people will
be aware of it but I donot think any serious bank will just grab a copy
and run it.

regards

Ajith