[Fsf-friends] Re: [fsug-kochi-discuss] Re: {Arun M] Another world is possible

gnu@vsnl.net gnu@vsnl.net
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:55:57 +0500 (IST)

  I am afraid you are wrong here. GPL'd software need not be open to
  any third party. ie, If I sell you  a GPL'd software I should give
  you the source also  along with the  binary. But I  need not give
  your friend the source of same same software till he purchases it.

Thanks. I stand corrected. I quote sec 3.

   You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
   under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms
   of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the
   following:

    * a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
    source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections
    1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software
    interchange; or,

    * b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
    years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
    cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
    machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
    distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
    customarily used for software interchange; or,

    [....]

The important point to note is that the first para says "...you also
do *one* of the following..". Since the party involved is already
distributing source to the customers, (which is (a)), he does not
need to do (b).

thanks Dileep, for pointing this error out.

best regards
ramakrishnan