[Fsf-friends] Re: {Arun M] Another world is possible

PostgreSQL Server eiidp@md3.vsnl.net.in
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 23:57:53 +0530

Arun's mail raises two different types of issues

1. His concern about me or organisations represented by me.
2. His concern regarding the matter to be discussed while formulating IT
policy for Keralam.

His concerns and comment about the OSS is baseless. Representatives of OSS
already had discussed these issues with him. His pre-judicious approach
has forced him to be suspecious on OSS. So here, with permission of all of
you, I would like to use this platform  to make it clear what OSS is and what
are its activities and our understanding of backgrounds that made Arun
pre-judicious on us.

Regarding the term 'Free Software', due to some specific reason we have not
used it. Now also we are not convinced with that term. The practical meaning
of the term 'Free' is dfferent in Richard Stallman's millieu and our
surroundings. We agree with the term 'Swathanthra' which is mentioned in
fsf-india's website. But now we have also forced to use the term 'Free
Software' because the practical meaning of 'Free' is changed atleast when it
is associated with software in our surroundings also . (May be due to recent
upsurge of discussion on this subject). This is how the terminology and thus
the language takes its shape. This does not mean that we have any  attachment
to the terms like 'Free Software'  or  'Open Software'. We think 'Software
under GPL' is more conveying than these terms.

We are distributing all software developed by OSS, under GPL since  the
formation of OSS (ie in early 2000). It is accroding to the statements in the
OSS's bylaw.  Its Arun's duty to prove his statment that OSS is taking
opportunistic stand. Arun, you may recall the discussion between us at Bose
Bhavan, Ernakulam, when I have clarified all these things to you. Let me make
it clear that, It is not our duty to hand over the software to Arun. GPL does
not mention that software should be given to a particular person or
Institution.  We are distributing our package along with service  for a
price. The customer gets its source code, they can modify it and they can
re-distribute it under GPL.

OSS (full name Open Software Solutions Industrial Co-operative Society Ltd.
Chottanikkara) is an  Industrial Co-operative Society which is a good example
for social entreprenuership in the field of Information Technology. The
Society is having around 40 members among them one is honourary member. All
the regular members, who were now associating with OSS is fully depended on
OSS. They have no other income. The honourary member does not accept any
payment from OSS. So it is the responsibility of OSS to provide income to its
member. So we provide software solution for local needs for a price. Arun
need not have any worry on it. It is totaly dfferent from a transnational or
local proprietary company.

In fact OSS was formed with a defenit purpose of forcing the developers of
EIID projects  under GPL regime. If Arun or anybody else is much interested,
we can provide full history of EIID, ATPS, OSS and SEPSIT and what they are
meant for. Our main concern is not software, we are more concerned about
local empowerment.

Now let us come to the real issues raised in his mail

> - What is a Software (not technically) ?
Since our aim is to formulate an IT policy It is better to start with what is
IT , What is policy and how it is socialy relevant and how it can be used in
governance.  Software comes later.
> - Is software patents and 'closing' the source only issues ?
> - What is the stand on 'cost effective' proprietary software ?
I thing softare part of our discussion will be focused on GPL'd software. Cost
effectiveness is also a important matter of concern
> - Do we have responsibility to global community ?
Surely, we have. But more priority for resposibility towards local community.
> - Transnational Proprietary companies are bad local ones are ok ?
Both are danger. The bigger one should be eliminated first.

I think instead of these type of question and answers, Let us come out with
our ideas, views, concern etc. I think we can start with Why an IT  policy is
required ? , Why there should be an alternative one ?. What is its social
relevence etc.

Even if my discussion paper is not on the right track. We can jointly think to
put it on right place.

Regards,

Anil Kanhangad,
ATPS