[Fsf-friends] Another world is possible

Arun M arun@freedevelopers.net
19 Jan 2003 14:36:22 +0530

I would like to thank Anil for bringing some good news to Free Software
community. But going through the draft discussion paper I am not
sure that it is in the right track.

As a person who is closely working with the Free Software Movement for
quite some time I've observed the changing views relating to Free
Software. Several opponents became friends of Free Software. And newer
interests started coming in. Also various interest groups started
redefining Free Software as they wish, to satisfy their needs.

<split>
In case of software there is a global movement for cost-effective
solutions,
popularly known as 'free software' which are distributed  under General
Public License (GPL). With the use of these software local software
expertise
will increase and  cost of software development will be fully
distributed for
local employment generation. Closed approach of patented software
ultimately
cause degradation of our existing software expertise. While use of
patented
software will take away a huge ammount as software cost and license fees
by
trans-national companies.
</split>

Free Software was never a movement for cost effective solutions. As
all of us know Free Software Movement started because some people
thought Software (and knowledge in general) should be freely available
to the society. They cared about the community. Today we have several
thousand Free Software because of their vision and the fight they did.

It is true that Free Software provides for 'cost effective
solutions'. But it is not just about 'cost effective' solutions. Cost
effectiveness came as an effect of Freedom Free Software provides. If
we are concerned about cost alone and forget the social and ethical
reasons of why Free Software I am sure we are going to fail in long
run. We must remember these when we make the policies for govt etc.

I've high regards for active and committed team behind ATP and related
organisations(OSS,EIID etc), and that is my fear too. Way back in 2000
they showed how we can use Free Software for local body
computerisation programs. May be first of its kind in the country. Yet
another Kerala Model. EIID was name of the project and in my
understanding project was supported by the District Panchayath. Due to
lack of clear policy decisions project didnt reach completion. The
policy of OSS during that time was against the use of term Free
Software in the beginning. I am glad that OSS has changed that stand
and started saying Free Software (I feel term Open Source is not that
popular in Kerala now). Coming to the issue at hand lets look at what
happened to EIID project code. It is yet to see the light of
Freedom. Gone with the project !! (Eazel is gone, Nautilus still
lives).

OSS is saying it is distributing Free Software under GNU GPL. But was
not made available to community at large. OSS releases code or not is
secondary issue now. Choosing Free Software license or not, is their
choice. But I am sad to say OSS taking an opportunistic position,
talking of Freedom when it helps and ignoring other wise (I sincerely
likes to see my statement wrong).

I dont want to hurt any one with these comments. But I am forced to
make public statements because even after asking repeatedly i've not
received any clear statement from OSS regarding policy and practice.
I hope OSS will take a clear stand based on Free Software ethics. Let
us show that Alternate World is possible by our deeds.

So discussion on IT or Software policies should ask several question.

- What is a Software (not technically)?
- Is software patents and 'closing' the source only issues ?
- What is the stand on 'cost effective' proprietary software ?
- Do we have responsibility to global community ?
- Transnational Proprietary companies are bad local ones are ok ?

(And several other questions relating to social implications of IT)