[Fsf-friends] [OFFTOPIC] NEWS: India's first computerised village council in Kerala (fwd)

CK Raju ckraju@zyberway.com
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 16:55:05 -0500

Fred,
Have you relayed this across the globe ? I had a few suggestions.

> Thiruvananthapuram, Jan 14 (IANS) A Kerala village is all set to create a
> record -- as the first to have a fully computerised grassroots
> administration in India.
Correction I
 ..the first to have a fully Microsoft-only computerised grassroots...

> The entire cost of computerisation came to Rs.600,000. "It took IKM almost
Correction II
 .. cost of computerisation came to Rs 600,000, if one writes off the overhead
development costs, that stands around Rs 500,000,000 as on date.

> a year to fully computerise the village council," said the Local
Correction III
 .. computerise the village council, forgetting the five years for developing
the Microsoft-only software..

> Among the biggest project proposals of the local self-government ministry
> is one worth Rs.7.5 billion that is getting ready to be showcased at the
> meet.
Correction IV
 .. worth Rs 7.5 billion (that would inevitably be recovered from the common
citizens of Kerala, within the life-period of the software licenses and
recovery repeated during every renewal thereafter, the decision of which is
binding on the state of Kerala over which its local governments shall have no
say) that is getting ...

> --Indo-Asian News Service
Correction V
  ..--Indo-Asian-Microsoft-IKM News Service

Perhaps that would have been a more honest broadcast.
CK Raju