[Fsf-friends] Natl conf on 'Open Source software

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay" <gajo@softhome.net
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:36:40 +0530

From: Sayamindu Dasgupta <unmadindu@Softhome.net>
To: "Nagarjuna G." <nagarjun@hbcse.tifr.res.in>
Cc: FN <fred@bytesforall.org>, fsf-friends@gnu.org.in,
  fsf-wg@gnu.org.in
Date: 22 Feb 2003 11:46:06 +0530

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 13:17, Nagarjuna G. wrote:

> This event doesn't recognize the free software movement at all.  They
> didn't invite any free software speaker, nor did they use the term
> anywhere.  If the hackers of Bangalore are alert possibly a note could
> be distributed to the participants about the free software position.
> This kind of events are likely to grow more in number.  This I feel is
> a parasitic activity, feeding on free software movement without any
> acknolwedgement.  We should write release a press note on this.
>
> Nagarjuna

I agree here.
We are finding less and less reference to Free Software each day.
This is a very dangerous situation, as people tend to forget the
underlying passion that has sustained the movement - the passion for
Freedom.
Unless something is done fast, I see India going the Mexico way.
-sdg-

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta [ http://www.peacefulaction.org/sayamindu/ ]

hi,
the main cause of lesser references to the FSF probably lies in market
economics, check out any IT market survey and the hot ticket there is Linux.
what is happening is that the cult brand effect  is diluting the philosphy
behind the entire GNU/Linux initiative. And a focal of the FSF should be to
relocate this philosophical inertia. Come to think of it, people are
interested in getting their work done, fast and efficiently. But what is the
harm if efficiency and effectiveness is married with a little bit of
altruism. the issue that 'information and knowledge is required to be free'
needs to be addressed. Not fanatic evangalism, but reasoned approach to the
issue can help bring the idea and the philosophy to the forefront. The
passion for freedom is one of the basic urges of man, each man tends to be
free. and when he finds that his freedom is in shackles, his aims thwarted,
he braves all odds to overcome the crisis. the passionate espousal of the
freedom keeps FSF vibrant and it is time that some tweaking is done to it.
regards
sankarshan

---