[Fsf-friends] Can we write a Free Textbook?

FN fred@bytesforall.org
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 13:23:17 +0530 (IST)

I would like to work towards compiling a Free Textbook elaborating on how
to use GNU software in schools. It could be modelled on the Free
Encyclopedia Project outlined elaborately by RMS (see the book 'No Sir, No
Monopoly: Free Software -- A Perspective', Prajasakti, Hyderabad 2002).

This book would primarily be in the English language, copylefted (free to
reprint) and would accept chapters written in an easy-to-understand style.

Ideally, the book would cover the introduction-to-computers course, that
students need to know to get started in Free Software. I am not an expert
in this field, but am willing to take the initiative to coordinate
contributions, unless someone else (or a team) is willing to take up this
duty.

What we perhaps need to get started is:

	o agree on topics to be covered (keeping this loose-ended,
 	  so that suitable topics could be added on at any stage)
	o decide the format in which text and illustrations/
 	  screenshots are to be presented
	o be clear about the best method of keeping this knowledge
	  copylefted
	o take a look at existing efforts (from whichever part of
	  the globe) that could be suitably incorporated in our
	  plans, without difficulties

Your comments, suggestions and criticism is welcome. FN
--
|_|  |_|  \___|\__,_|\___|_|  |_|\___|_|\_\  http://opennews.indianissues.org
--
Frederick Noronha * Freelance Journalist * Goa * India 832.409490 / 409783
Writing with a difference... on what makes *the* difference