[Fsf-friends] Free(dom) Software?

V. Sasi Kumar vsasi@vsnl.com
Mon Dec 29 14:06:51 IST 2003

Interestingly, I know a very elderly person (70+ years) who had attended
the Freedom First conference in Thiruvananthapuram and has used the term
Freedom Software ever since. Being an economist with no technological
inclinations, he is not at all aware of the technical details of the
software, but was impressed with the message of freedom that RMS
conveyed. It is, perhaps, this that put the term 'Freedom Software' in
his mind. I had tried to correct him initially, but that appeared to
escape his mind the next time he spoke. So I let it remain.

Regards
V. Sasi Kumar

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 11:16, Krishna Pagadala wrote:
> Hi All,
>   I am calling "free software" as "freedom software"
> these days. This is to emphasize that we are talking
> about freedoms, this way I am able to avoid the idiom
> ``free'' as in ``free speech,'' not as in ``free
> beer.'', and I hope that the idiom will become
> unnecessary.
>
>   Does anybody have an opinion on this? Unless I hear
> good reasons for why it should be otherwise, I will be
> using "freedom software" when I try and explain free
> software movement.
>
>   Also in written communication, I am writing
> "Free(dom)" instead of "Free", should I just be using
> "Freedom". Please let me know.
>
>   RMS, if you are reading this. Do you have any
> opinion on this usage?
>
>   This is particularly important for me, since I am
> starting to give talks on Free Software Movement, (to
> friends mostly, in Bay Area, California, USA). The
> title of the next talk is
> "Freedom, Development and Justice in the context of
> Free(dom) Software Movement"
>
> Thanks
> Krishna

V. Sasi Kumar <vsasi@vsnl.com>