[Fsf-friends] Indian Express

Sajith VK sajithvk@hotpop.com
Fri Dec 26 13:08:04 IST 2003

Hi,

On വെ, 2003-12-26 at 06:27, Manilal K M wrote:
> We had demonstrated the software before Sajith at IT Mission.
>  He then commented that they opt Mandrake for this purpose.
> I think there is no difference between Mandrake and RedHat.

There is a difference between Mandrake and redhat. See
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/company/press/pr?n=/pr/corporate/2446
You may not be able to use trademark of mandrake too, but they are
not calling someone "comercial" and keeping him out. See,
"comerical" and "proprietary" are not identical. I suggested
mandrake because, the users guide for mandrake is in FDL (In my
knowledge), So we can distribute them too, in print or other medium.

If you ask me now, I recomment Morphix, which is a debian derivative and
easy to install. see, Its all my views.Correct me If I am wrong.

>  The copyright issues were not raised by Sajith but complained only
> about the functioning of the Software package developed by CDIT.
Myself and Arun M, has clearly informed the Kerala IT mission about the
copyright issue(I mean,the "trademark infrigement").
One representative from CDIT(I dont remember his name)  was also
there.
>  I don't blame him for this matter. Because raising such
>  issues(copyright) is not his duty. The Akshaya logo was printed on
>  all CD's. But the RedHat logo is printed only on the CDs which
> contained the RedHat distro.
	Instead of trying to defend CDIT, we need to take actions
to ensure that this issue wont make any negative impact on the
Free software Initiatives. The free software community need to ask
Kerala IT Mission to allow GNU/Linux in Akshaya project, without
any delay.

Sajith VK <sajithvk@hotpop.com>