[Fsf-friends] No warranty is the best warranty for free software

Annamalai Gurusami annamalai.gurusami@email.masconit.com
Tue Dec 23 21:54:41 IST 2003

Ramanraj K <ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in> writes:

> Chandrashekhar Mullaparthi wrote:
>
> >On 23/12/03 12:10 pm, "Annamalai Gurusami"
> ><annamalai.gurusami@email.masconit.com> wrote:

> >>The same does apply to _big_ corporations.  If their software is not
> >>useful, then it is not going to sell.
> >>
> >Really? What about Microsoft? Exception? I think it's more the norm than the
> >exception. And, the point is not whether a paticular piece of software is
> >useful. The point is what happens when it breaks. That's where warranties
> >come in.

I don't know how I missed this particular response.  But the logic
above if applied _must_ be valid to any corporation.  People buy MS
products because they find it useful.  Even though equally good (or
better) products are available for free, still people _buy_ MS
products for various reasons.  Now, if MS product is not solving their
problem, I don't think anybody is going to buy.

Just Facts.

Rgds,
anna

--

Time-stamp: <2003-12-20 14:17:08 annamalai.gurusami>

The World Social Forum is not an organisation, not a united front
platform, but "an open meeting place for reflective thinking,
democratic debate of ideas, formulation of proposals, free exchange of
experiences and inter-linking for effective action, by groups and
movements of civil society that are opposed to neo-liberalism and to
domination of the world by capital and any form of imperialism, and
are committed to building a society centred on the human person

                 http://www.wsfindia.org