[Fsf-friends] No warranty

Ramanraj K ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in
Tue Dec 23 15:57:03 IST 2003

>Annamalai gurusami wrote:
>Does this mean that non-free software has warranty?  I don't think so.
>I'll check out the licenses of some software programs and will post it
>over here.

To read the GPL visit: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

The GPL says, among other things,:
<quote>

 NO WARRANTY

  11. BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY
FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.  EXCEPT WHEN
OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES
PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED
OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  THE ENTIRE RISK AS
TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU.  SHOULD THE
PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING,
REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

</quote>

The GPL, under clause 11 says:

"THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU."

If I say I have extracted the above from the GPL, you need not take my
word for granted.  You can visit http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
and verify if my claim is correct.  Similarly, one may verify output
from software without taking it for granted, and this makes the need for
a warranty unnecessary.