[Fsf-friends]

Suraj suraj@symonds.net
Tue Dec 23 02:03:20 IST 2003

Manilal K M wrote on Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 03:45:30PM +0600:
,----
|   I wish to share with you  a news snippet. The New Indian Express had
| declared   RedHat    Linux   as   a    Proprietary   software.    Ref:
| http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IER20031223001556&Page=R&Title=Kerala&Topic=0&
|
| It  is said  in  the EULA  of RedHat  Linux  that "Most  of the  Linux
| Programs are licensed pursuant to an open source EULA that permits you
| to copy,  modify, and redistribute  the software, in both  source code
| and binary code forms."
`----

Its  true  that  redhat   is  partly  proprietary.  Since  its  partly
proprietary  (_and_ if  you  wanted to  take  a hard  stand), you  can
call it proprietary (just because there is a small piece of meat in my
food, it does not just become partly non-vegetarian ;) )

,----
| The  AKSHAYA Project  which is  a  community literacy  programme is  a
| non-commercial  initiative  by  the  govt  of  Kerala.  I  just  can't
| understand the motto behind such  a report. The newspaper is trying to
| make AKSHAYA  project a  commercial initiative. Forgetting  the matter
| that This  project will make a  good impact of "Free  Software" on the
| mass the newspaper is trying to benefit some vested persons.
`----

Maybe AKSHAYA  should think of some other  alternatives? (like debian,
for example?)

cheers,

  -Suraj