[Fsf-friends]

Manilal K M manilal@linuxmail.org
Tue Dec 23 15:45:30 IST 2003

Hello everybody,
  I wish to share with you a news snippet. The New Indian Express had declared RedHat Linux as a Proprietary software.
Ref: http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IER20031223001556&Page=R&Title=Kerala&Topic=0&

It is said in the EULA of RedHat Linux that "Most of the Linux
Programs are licensed pursuant to an open source EULA that permits you
to copy, modify, and redistribute the software, in both source code and
binary code forms."

But Indian Express had declared, quoting some official sources that RedHat is a proprietary software.
It's said in the RedHat license that anybody can copy RedHat Linux for non-commercial purposes.

The AKSHAYA Project which is a community literacy programme is a non-commercial initiative by the govt of Kerala. I just can't understand the motto behind such a report. The newspaper is trying to make AKSHAYA project a commercial initiative. Forgetting the matter that This project will make a good impact of "Free Software" on the mass the newspaper is trying to benefit some vested persons.
with regards
Manilal