[Fsf-friends] Need help on how to respond to insecure CEOs

Ramanraj K ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in
Fri Dec 12 16:38:40 IST 2003

Rishi Gangoly wrote:

>What if the competition uses my code and shuts my company down?
>How does one respond to the fear?
>The reason I'm having difficulty is because I'm not sure about this either.

The concept of sharing is ubiquitous in free software - in the kernel
itself through time sharing of processor and other resources, in the
distribution through the free licence, and in all of us through the free
software philosophy.  Sharing is innate in society, and we can easily
adapt to this environment. But I do not know if anyone could guarantee
that it will not shut down a company that is not resourceful.  Most
users of free software are intelligent, and they would be able to
identify you as the author of your code, and one could reasonably expect
them to seek your assistance when appropriate. The legal and medical
professions have been living for long, comfortably in such an
environment.  Many drug companies market paracetamol using different
brand names, and it does take one to other areas like brand building and
marketing in the ultimate analysis.

But really, we are in the transition period from the Industrial Age to
the Information Age, that should hopefully lead us to the Space Age
[no-war, total peace and prosperity, with ample resources for
 adventuring into inter-galactical space missions], and there are tons
and tons of things waiting to be done.  There are enough problems
confronting mankind at present.  To the best of my knowledge, there is
not even a program that prints [to a printer] a html page with css as
required by the w3c specification. If a company solves a problem, let us
all feel happy about it, even rejoice together, and identify the next
problem to tackle with vigour and move on.  We could solve the AI
problem.  We could port all the laws - natural and man made to
computers.  Only with free software, we can even attempt to work without
duplication, and this in itself should take us places.  I think the
realisation of this strength and truth behind free software is the best
antidote for the fear.