[Fsf-friends] Re: Free Software CD's (Clean Distributions) and learning to reason

Pappu gnuhead@vsnl.net
Sun Dec 7 23:12:59 IST 2003

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 07:57:18AM +0530, Ramanraj K wrote:
> Mahesh T. Pai wrote:
> >Users can get source packages in both RPM and Debian's dpkg system.
>
> SRPMs give the sources, but then, can we not more directly distribute
> and use *tar or *bz2 released by major free software project teams?

The problem comes in making sure that every thing works with each other.
There will be library dependencies, version mismatches and a host of
other problems.

Maintaining a software distribution is a huge responsibility.
It will also be a duplication of effort.

regards,
pappu.