[Fsf-friends] Free Software CD's (Clean Distributions) and learning to reason

Ramanraj K ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in
Sat Dec 6 07:33:17 IST 2003

Manilal wrote:
> I think we should think in this direction.
> But the main problem who will provide the funds ?

We heavy rely upon the commercial distributions for installing the
kernel, shells, cron, gcc, KDE, GNOME and the basic directories and
scripts that we collectively call the system.  Knoppix, that is released
under the GPL, does a decent job of installing these.  However, the only
issue with Knoppix is that it uses *.deb files to install applications,
ie. precompiled software. Ideally, we should compile the other
applications we use regularly, from source.  This way, we can quickly
update with patches, make customizations, make contributions, uninstall
old versions and install new releases with ease.  The clean and easy
installation and distribution method should be preferred.

The source code in tar or bzip files may be expanded in  /usr/local/src
into their respective directories.  A  simple script like the one given
below, can make and install from the sources:

#!/usr/bin/bash
echo "installing apache, php and postgresql ..."
cd apache_1.3.20
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
cd ../php-4.3.2
./configure --with-apache=../apache_1.3.20 --enable-inline-optimization
make
make install
cd ../apache_1.3.20
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a
make
make install
cd ../postgresql-7.3.2
./configure
gmake
gmake install
# installation complete.
# start servers ...
# /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
# read and follow the INSTALL directions for each
exit

As you see, it does not require lots of funds to write and use a simple
script like this.  Further, this is also desirable, because, for an
application like php, one may add more arguments to the configure line,
if appropriate.  The most important thing we can learn from Free
Software, is the importance of reasoning for one's self, without
shifting this burden to others. Constant reference and use of source
code is a must to understand how and why the code  works.  *rpm and *deb
do not encourage reasoning.  Seeking source files, and compiling from
them, is the right way to stay in control.  Once all users understand
how to install and use applications directly from the sources, would
they seek a commercial package?