[Fsf-friends] Re: RMS note to Vivaravicharam: GNU Swatantra

Suraj suraj@symonds.net
Sun Aug 31 22:51:43 IST 2003

Dileep M. Kumar wrote on Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 11:00:13AM +0530:
,----
| The  word  Kappam  is  in   Malayalam  too.   There  is  another  word
| "Chungam". This also means Kappam (A  sort of tax/fees given to a King
| for  protecting the  land/people. King/Lords  (Nattu Raja)  of smaller
| states gave this to Chakravarti (King of Kingdoms).
`----

Chungam / Kappam et al are derived from Tamil. Malayalam being a tamil
+ sanskrit  derivate is bound to have  a lot of things  in common with
Tamil / sanskrit and hence I think there is no point in trying to find
"pure" malayalam  words.  Especially  words like 'sungam'  or 'kappam'
might all  have formed  much later in  the history of  these languages
that they could have very well been imported from elsewhere.

,----
| Swatantra Software Sabha - Sounds fine. We have to find an appropriate
| term for Software  also. I read in one magazine a  term for Computer -
| "Ganana Yanthram"
`----

In  tamil  the  equivalent  is  'men  porul'  (men  =  soft,  porul  =
thing/ware).. But Ganana Soothram sounds good.

best,

  -Suraj