[Fsf-friends] Re: [Fsf-india]Response to the e-mail to the Editor. Vivaravicharam

Joe Steeve joe_steeve@gmx.net
Sat Aug 30 10:13:10 IST 2003

>     What Gandhiji promoted was ?Gram Swaraj?
>
> Maybe that term is better.  I am not an expert on this.
> I will ask the FSF India people what they think.

"Gram Swaraj" means autonomy of a village. Gandhi had a good explanation for
that., but that explanation would be ir-relevant at this point.
The english language suffers the problem of difference in meaning depending
on context. There may be liguistic terms to describe this., I'm not
literature student., so I dont  know. But Indian languages have different words for
different context.

"Free as in Freedom" can be stated as "swatantra" in Hindi/sanskrit. I dont
know what is the equivalent term for "Free of cost". (My mother tongue is not
Hindi/sanskrit)

Hence., the phrase "Software Swatantra" means "Freedom of Software". Might
be more appropriate. IMHO

Cheers,
Joe

--