[Fsf-friends] Fwd: Response to the e-mail to the Editor. Vivaravicharam

Joe Steeve joe_steeve@gmx.net
Sat Aug 30 10:07:02 IST 2003

Hello Anil.,

> mentioning about Gandhiji's principle ! “Swadesh” is
a word
>  of Sanskrit
> origin and its literal meaning is “My own nation”. It
is a
> propaganda term of
> the fascist group named “RSS” to spread their fanatic
agend
> a of Hindu
> nationalism.

Well.. the word 'swadesh' by itself dosent have any significance in history.
The term originally was not coined by the RSS. the RSS derived it from what
Gandhiji started calling the 'Swadeshi movement'. That movement is to boycott
all foriegn goods, which were brought into the Indian market at that time.
This he did inorder to protect the livelihood of the 'Villages'. So the
movement's call was to boycott foriegn goods and to use only Indian goods. It is
not a propaganda term as you've mentioned. The RSS and other Hindu fanatics
have derived their current terminology from the original one.

> Usually a movement or philosophy is called after its originator. However a

only cults are named after their originator.

> product is referred by its shortest name for convenience. It is true that
> major portion of the Linux OS is developed by GNU. So it can be named as
> "GNU/Linux". Since there is no Linux OS other than GNU/Linux, the usage of
> "Linux"  is justified by ease of use.

Linux is the kernel. And GNU is the rest of the stuff on it. Referring them
together as *Linux* sounds immature and lame. Why not call *Chicken Biriyani*
as simply *chicken* or simply *biriyani*. *Chicken* means something else and
*Biriyani* is just too general., so there is a compulsion for the sake of
understanding  to refer to *Chicken Biriyani* as *Chicken Biriyani* and not
seperately though the product would sound better with a smaller name.. I pray
you get the point.

Cheers,
Joe

--