[Fsf-friends] Help needed: Anyone from kotayam,kerala?

Vijay Kumar B. ec10052@rect.ernet.in
Wed Aug 20 15:34:32 IST 2003

Dear Arun,

> Why not ? That is atleast far better than using totally propreitary
> systems which does not come with any source at all right ?

according to the Open Source Definition and the definition of free software
given by the Free Software movement, both are one and the same. But its all
about what the people in each of these two movements say about the software.

For a person in the Open Source movement, the reason for the using the software
would be - "It's of high quality. It's cheap."

For a person in the Free Software movement, the reason for using the software
is - "It gives me the freedom to share the software with my friends. It gives
me the freedom to modify the program to my needs. It gives me the freedom to
distribute modified versions of the program."

And the fact that "many" free softwares are of high quality is actually a
consequence of these freedoms.

This has mislead many people in the open source movement to use a combination
of free software and proprietary software, just because they are of high
quality.

If my memory is correct, Bruce Perens left the OSI saying "We need to talk more
about freedom."

If we concentrate on the "consequence" we will slowly loose all our freedoms,
and come back to square one!

- Vijay

Non-free* software sucks. - RMS
* 'free' as in freedom.