[Fsf-friends] IT education in Kerala schools and GNU/LInux

Arun M arun@gnu.org.in
Mon Aug 18 08:13:54 IST 2003

>  > The text book is divided in to two sections, Windows and GNU/Linux.
>
> Which text book? VIIIth? IXth? Xth?

All of them,

.
> I believe that  the text book for VIIIth is  already published, and is
> there for all  to see. There is no  point in having a war  of words on

Just for clarity, 8th standard book has been revised and went for
reprint. New version includes GNU/Linux section.

> Our friend was asking for more.  That requires a very formal approach.
> Efforts by  Mr.  Sajith and  his friends, while  certainly significant
> and   important,  are   based  on   tacit  and   silent   approval  of
> authorities. If  somebody takes up  the issue, the Government  will be
> forced to  withdraw the  text books created  by the  present committee
> because they do not conform to the syllabus.
>
> Or has the Govt. of Kerala changed the syllabus?

Syllabus was corrected and rewritting the text book was done after that.
Issue now is Govt is not willing to provide training to teachers. This
needs to be addressed by us.
Regarding withdrawing the text book, it will be too difficult at this
stage, for various reasons.

regards,
arun.